Chevron Baby Blanket (Free Pattern)

I just finished making this beautiful gray, blue, and white chevron blanket for our future little bundle of joy, and I love it so much that I thought I’d give you all the pattern so that you can make one as well!

The size of this blanket is very easy to adjust, so whether you want a baby blanket or a full size adult afghan, the possibilities are endless!

I used three different colors, but you can use just one solid color if you want, or several different colors!

So without further ado, here is the pattern for this chevron blanket.

Use a 5mm hook with worsted weight (medium) yarn.

Abbreviations:

Ch – chain
dc – double crochet
dc3tog – double crochet 3 together
st – stitch

**NOTE: At the end of each row you will dc 3 times in the turning chain (last chain on the first row) instead of  doing the 3 dcs twice.**

Chain a multiple of 14 stitches + 2 stitches (I did 142 stitches to make it baby sized).

Row 1: (I started with blue)  2 dcs in 3rd ch from hook, *dc in each of the next 3 stitches, dc3tog 2 times, dc in each of the next 3 stitches, (3 dcs in next st) 2 times*; repeat from * to * across, ending with 3 dcs in last ch.

Row 2: Turn.  Ch 2. 2 dcs in first dc, *dc in each of the next 3 stitches, dc3tog 2 times, dc in each of the next 3 stitches, (3 dcs in next st) 2 times*; repeat from * to * across, ending with 3 dcs in turning ch.

Repeat row 2 until blanket is to desired length.

I added a white border around my blanket using the same pattern from row 2 along the top and bottom, and a row of dcs along each side (in the end of the rows).

To get the color pattern, I crocheted 3 rows of blue, one row of white, 3 rows of gray, one row of white, and so on.

Update:  Some people were having problems with the pattern, so here’s a picture of the pattern.  This should answer a lot of questions.

chevron pattern

I realized that I never posted pictures of the blanket in it’s natural habitat once we moved to our new house and Oliver was born.  So, here you go!

Chevron Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern

Chevron Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern

Hope you enjoy this free pattern!  Please let me know if you have any questions!

And here are some cute pictures of my little guy to get you through your day.  Can’t believe he’s already 18 months old!

Chevron Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern

Chevron Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern

Chevron Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern

• Don & Toli said:

Hi Joanna, So beautiful. You are SO talented! I love the colors - Civil War colors (the blue & the gray).

• Laquan said:

What size crochet hook did you use?

• Joanna @ Southern Daisy said:

Hi! Sorry, I forgot to mention that. I used a 5mm hook with soft worsted weight yarn.

• Faye said:

Joanna,

How many stitches per inch. Thanks. Love the pattern and want to get it right.

• Patty said:

you totally mentioned the hook size in the pattern so don't apologize.

• Mary Caouette said:

Hi Joanna,

In response to someone who asked what size hook. You did mention the size hook at the beginning of the pattern.

• Paula said:

I have crocheted for many years-my grandmother taught me when I was about 10 years old and of course she never used a written pattern. She could just look at it and make it. I on the other hand learned to read a pattern as well. The one thing you did not let a person know that visits this site is the size needle you used and the type of thread. For someone that has crocheted for years this is not something they would normally need to know but for the beginner it comes in handy. I always fall back to the good old size H hook but still have to go up or down. Now let me tell you that a friend of my daughters gave me a set of round knitting looms and they are kind of fun to play with..might be something you would like to try. Like the web site --I am making the crochet holder. Good luck!

• Teresa said:

Did you go through just the back loops or through both?

Through both loops.

• Kelly said:

Hi Joanna!

I am new to crocheting and LOVE this blanket! I am hoping to make it for my friend's baby. I plan to teach myself but...is this too complicated for a starting project? I have no idea what all of the abbreviations mean but I do have a book to help me, though I already feel a little lost! Should I start with something simpler? Do you have any tips? Thanks!

Kelly

Hi Kelly,

I don't think this blanket is difficult at all! You should be able to handle it without a problem. The only tricky stitch might be the dc3tog, which means that you need to double crochet 3 stitches together, but you should be able to find a youtube video that will show you how to do that. Here are the abbreviations and their meaning:

Ch - chain
      dc - double crochet
      dc3tog - double crochet 3 together
      st - stitch

Good luck! Let me know if you have any other questions, and let me know how it turns out!

• Kelly said:

Thank you! It will take a while, but I'm sure I'll get there. Do you put the border in as you go or can you do it once you finish?

• Joanna @ Southern Daisy said:

Sorry Kelly, I just saw this. The white boarder is stitched at the very end when you have the blanket the finished size that you want.

• KimberlyRae said:

Just Beautiful!!!
        How many balls or Grams does the baby sized blanket take?
        And....
        What are the measurements of 'baby size' blanket??
        Thanks!

• Tameron said:

Hi! This is EXACTLY what Ive been looking for and I'm so excited ive found your pattern. So simple! Thanks! I just have one question. About how many skeins of yarn did this take? Im on a tight ish budget and want to be able to work my budget ;)

• Joanna @ Southern Daisy said:

Hi Tameron, glad you found my pattern! I used just a little over one skein for each of the blue and gray, and one skein for the white. You could probably get by with just one skein of each if you make the blanket a little smaller.

• Yvonne said:

How many grams or meterage is one skein? I am in Australia. And this is sooooo beautiful - so glad a friend mentioned your site - I've been trying to modify three patterns into one to get this look and modifiable size.

• Joanna @ Southern Daisy said:

Hi Yvonne! It really varies depending on what brand and type of yarn you're using. I don't have the yarn I used on this blanket anymore, so I'm not sure of the exact size. I bought them in the baby yarn section, and they were average sized skeins. Not the smaller skeins you sometimes see in the baby yarn section.

• having a hard time understanding the pattern after you chain 140 is row 1 what you do ? where is says dc3tog 2 times is it in the same stitch?

Hi Scottie,
      Yes, after you chain 140, you're going to start row 1. So you'll chain 2 more (almost like you're chaining 142 instead), then you'll do 2 double crochets in the 3rd chain from the hook...and so on. Does that make sense?

• Joanna @ Southern Daisy said:

Oh, also the dc3tog 2 times is not in the same stitch. You'll do it once in the first 3 stitches, and then again in the next 3 stitches.

• Laurie said:

How much yarn did you use for the blanket?

• Joanna @ Southern Daisy said:

Hi Laurie, I used about one skein of white, and a little over one skein for both the blue and gray.

• Tameron said:

Thanks a bunch Joanna! And congrats on your new baby! I'm expecting my second in April! :)

• meagan said:

i was just wondering what you ment when you said "3 dcs in turning ch." does that mean you chain twice and then do the 3 dc ? or is it just 3dc in the last stitch and then chain twice and continue on like normal.

• Joanna @ Southern Daisy said:

You're going to do 3 dcs in the chain after the last dc (not in the last dc) and then ch 2, turn, and proceed. Does that make sense?

• Tameron said:

Ok, One more question. Should the DC3Tog stiches always end up in the valley of the chevron and the DC3 in one DC stitches at the peaks? This might sound silly but mine havent been lining up and the pattern is turning out more like a wave than a structured chevron like yours

• Joanna @ Southern Daisy said:

You should be doing the 3 dcs twice at the top of the wave, not just once. The rows should line up.

• sarah morarie said:

So for the first row is it 3 double crochets in one chain, then dc3tog and 3 more in the next chain? or is it 3 double crochets in 3 individual chains, the dc3tog twice, then 3 more double crochets in3 chains. I am a bit confused as to whether the 3 dc are done in one stitch or separately.

• Joanna @ Southern Daisy said:

It's 1 dc in each of the next 3 dcs.

• Shelley said:

Thank you so much for your pattern. I am making this for my new granddaughter. I had tried 3 other patterns but had problems. This is working up so easily. Very well written. Thanks again.

• Joanna @ Southern Daisy said:

I'm so glad to know it's working out for you!

• Tameron said:

My blanket has turned out perfect and I feel super great about having another pattern under my belt! Thank you again for your patience an posting this!

• Meagan said:

I'm sorry, I love this blanket and am trying so hard to understand this pattern.

I did my foundation chain, chained 2, and did a dc in the 3rd ch from hook. I then did a double crochet in each of the next 3 chains, and as for the dc3tog 2 times, I put 3 double crochets into 1 chain stitch and 3 in the next.
    Starting back at the star, I then put a double crochet in each of the next 3 chain stitches.....but then I hit the part where it says to do the dc3tog 2 times, so again, am I supposed to put 3 double stitches in each of the next 2 stitches?
    Am I doing something wrong? Where is the valley supposed to happen?

• Joanna @ Southern Daisy said:

The dc3tog means that you need to double crochet 3 stitches together into one stitch, not 3 individual dcs in one stitch. You should be able to find a YouTube video on how to do that. I'm on my phone in the car so I can't figure out how to explain it in words.

So then you dc one time in each of the next 3 stitches. Then you dc 3x in each of the next two stitches. This creates the peak and the dc3tog creates the valley. Does that make sense?

• Meagan said:

Sorry, this is an add-on to my previous post.
    (I see it said to put 2 dc.'s in the 3rd chain from hook, so I did that)

I have a question about this part of your instruction, given after the dc3tog twice: dc in each of the next 3 stitches, (3 dcs in next st) 2 times.
    The wording is tripping me up....because it sounds like you are saying (after doing 3 dc's in 2 consecutive chain stitches) put a dc in each of the next 6 chain stitches. (I'm not sure if this isn't what you mean, or you were just saying do a dc in the next 3, and again in the next 3, so that we are just working in a mindset of 3's)

• Melody said:

How long did you make the baby afghan size? I've seen different measurements on different patterns? Thanks.

• Heidi said:

The instructions for the second row are very confusing. I ended on a 3dc stitch in the first row, and followed the instructions for the 2nd row, but they do not seem to make the valleys and peaks match up correctly. I will probably use another pattern!

• Joanna @ Southern Daisy said:

Did you chain the correct number of chains at the beginning? They should line up properly.

• Hannah said:

So I made a ch of 182. But, when I get to the last stitch of Row 1, I do not end with 3 DC in the last stitch. Can you help me, please?

• Joanna @ Southern Daisy said:

Hi Hannah, did you chain 2 after you chained 182? You need to make sure to do that or your stitches won't line up.

• Judy Huff said:

Please let me know what the multiple is. It is not 14. I can't make this pattern work. Every chevron or ripple pattern I have crocheted or looked at never starts with a Ch 2 on Row 1. The peaks and valleys don't line up. I don't usually have a problem with these chevron/ripple patterns, but I have tried many times to make yours work, and it just doesn't. You said the multiple is 14, but there are other stitches before and after the asterisk that must be counted.

• Joanna @ Southern Daisy said:

Hi Judy, I'm sorry you're having problems. I've updated the pattern and included a simple picture diagram of the pattern. Hopefully this will answer your questions.

• Marlys Wojahn said:

How many skeins did u use & how many yards on each skein?

• Angelina said:

Hi. I love the look of this blanket and want to make one for my friend who will be having a baby boy. I was wondering what the finished size of your blanket is so i can figure out whether I need to make it bigger or smaller. Thanks so much!

Hi Angelina,
      It's approximately 34"x45".

• Just Beautiful!!!
    How many balls or Grams does the baby sized blanket take?
    And....
    What are the measurements of 'baby size' blanket??
    Thanks!

• Hilary said:

I was wondering how much yarn (yardage) you used to make this size blanket? Thanks!

• Sara said:

Hi there,
    Just wondering.... how many stitches should I end up with after the second row. I chained 142 and DC in the 3rd chain from the hook but on my 2nd row, I only end up with 139.
    Thanks!

• Karen said:

Joanna, thank you so much for this pattern! It is perfect for the baby gifts I need to make! I love you included the multiple count so it can adjust easily, I've been crocheting for 20+ years and I found your instructions to be clear & well written. Everyone is digging the chevron :)

• Joanna @ Southern Daisy said:

Thank you so much, Karen! You made my day. :-)

• Jennifer said:

I am interested in doing this pattern in a multi-color, similar to what you pictured. Did you do the foundation row in white and then begin row 1 with the blue? As you went along, how many rows did you do of each color to repeat? For example, did you do 4 rows of Color A, 2 rows of white, and then 4 rows of Color B? Haven't started yet ... just trying to gauge the color changes from the photos. Thanks for your help!

Hi Jennifer,

If you look on the last paragraph (before the update), I explain the color pattern: 3 rows of blue, one row of white, 3 rows of gray, and so on. Foundation chains are done with blue. Hope that helps!

• Robin said:

I just LOVE the colors you used! What brand & colors are used in this blanket? :)

Thank you!!

• Lucy said:

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I've been trying to find a pattern I can easily follow for ages and stumbled across this one yesterday. I've been saving some wool to do a baby blanket and started this last night! I've just finished my first three rows and it looks lovely : )

• Joanna @ Southern Daisy said:

Thanks, Lucy! I'm so happy to hear that!

• tiffany said:

This pattern is amazingly easy, I didn't have one issue with it. Thank you for creating a pattern so simple to read.

• Justina Escobedo said:

I have to be doing something wrong because I keep either ending on 3 seperate dcs or 2 of the decrease stitches... I really want to make this blanket for my baby boy on the way, and I can't find any pattern that makes sense...
    Haha and I read everyone is getting it lol
    Maybe I should try again lol

• Joanna @ Southern Daisy said:

Hi Justina, maybe try looking at the diagram at the bottom to see if you're doing it correctly.

• Nancy said:

Can you please tell me the dimensions of the finished blanket? I would like to make it crib size.

Thanks!!!

• Nicole said:

I love your pattern! Super easy to follow :) Thank you for sharing!

• Wendy said:

Once I start the second row, do I just go through the back loops when doing my double crotchets ? And do I go through both loops when doing the dc3tog or just the back loops?

• Joanna @ Southern Daisy said:

Hi Wendy, you'll always go through both loops.

• Wendy said:

Just to clarify, since I worded that a little wrong the first time. I'm not referring to the loops on my hook when doing the dc, but when I do each stitch, do I go thru both sides of the next chain or just the back loop of the chain? Thank you

• Wendy said:

I did 142 chains and I end up short I chain at the end every time, (I have only enough to do 3 dc's in the next 3 stitches, but am short the last chain to do the 3 dc's in.
    I have taken it apart and retried it 4 times and it happens every time. Anyone have any advice?

• Wendy said:

Got it now. I was using very soft yarn and I crochet tight, so I wasn't seeing my last stich correctly. On 5th row and doing good. Is easy pattern now that I figured out what my mistake was :)

• Christine said:

So, when you say a multiple of 14, you just do a simple chain of the number that you choose? So with this one, you just chained 142 stitches to get started? Nothing special?

• Joanna @ Southern Daisy said:

Hi Christine, you need to chain a multiple of 14, plus 2 chains. So for example, you could chain 14, 28, 42, 56, 70, 140, etc., and then you would add 2 chains to that number.

• Christine said:

Okay. I understand that part now. Can you go in to detail about the double crochet three together.

• Joanna @ Southern Daisy said:

Here's a link to a youtube video explaining how to do this. This is not my video, just one I found for you.

• wendy said:

Joanna,
    I am done with the afghan, but want to add a border. I have never added a border before. Can you instruct me on how to add the border to this afghan?

• Joanna @ Southern Daisy said:

Hi Wendy, there should be instructions toward the end of the tutorial on how to add the border.

• Martha Hernandez said:

I am useing this Pattern for my baby blanket. I was wondering since I am doing 140 + 2 stitches on foundation, would each row be 142? Thanks for tip on "lining up the peaks and valleys".
    Please help.:-)

• Joanna @ Southern Daisy said:

Hi Martha, No it would still be 140 stitches on the rows because you're skipping the first 2 stitches when you start the first row.

• Martha Hernandez said:

HELP,,,what am I doing wrong? My stitches are NOT LINING UP.,the peaks n valley's are every where but right..thanks..

• Joanna @ Southern Daisy said:

Did you look at the diagram? Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words. I know that has helped some people.

• Martha Hernandez said:

I have printed diagram / picture to use as a guide. Will work on blanket tonight therefore if I have any issues I will contact you again..Thank you for your patience.

• Amy said:

I just thought you would like to know that I am currently sitting on an airplane making a baby blanket with your pattern and the flight attendant asked for the pattern. I directed her to your website and told her how easy it was to follow your pattern because of the diagram, after trying and failing with so many other chevron patterns! Thanks for the pattern!

• Joanna @ Southern Daisy said:

That's awesome, Amy! Thanks for sharing!

• Cathie said:

Love the pattern. How big is one skein. How many ounces/yards per skein. Just want an idea. Thank you. Looks like you used a heavier yarn.

• Bethany said:

Hi Joanna!

I'm crocheting this blanket for our very first nephew/grandchild for my senior project. I was just wondering how many rows total are there?

• Joanna @ Southern Daisy said:

Hi Bethany! I didn't actually count the rows, since I just stopped when I thought it was big enough. :-) That's the beauty of this pattern! You can decide how big or how small you want to make it. Hope that helps!

• Bethany said:

Okay thank you :)

• Bethany said:

I was wondering how many rows you did?

• Mary Barker said:

May I ask what size skeins your had and what weight yarn you used (sport/DK/worsted)? I am ordering from Knit Picks and their skeins are smaller so I want to make sure I am ordering enough. Thank you for your pattern and for answering so many questions!!

• Callie said:

I am getting ready to start this blanket as my first crochet project (fully intending to make good use of tutorial youtube videos, of course!). You said you used one skein to just over one skein for each of the blue, gray, and white. Do you know how many yards were in each of your skeins? For baby blankets around the web I've seen skein estimates anywhere from 3 skeins to 17 skeins! I was just curious how many yards constituted one "skein". Also, what brand of yarn did you use? The only medium weight yarn I have found so far is the Red Heart yarn that doesn't seem to be very "soft" like your description of "soft worsted weight." :) Finally, how many chains do you make to begin this project if I would like my dimensions similar to yours? Is there a certain number or do I simply measure the chain to get to 34-35 inches in width? Thanks so much!

Hi Callie,

I'm not positive if this is 100% accurate since I threw away the labels on the yarn after I used them, but I'm pretty sure I used the Softee Baby yarn by Bernat. It should be in the baby yarn section at your local Joann's or Hobby Lobby. I'm looking at the packaging on another color I have that is the same brand, and it is 395 yards. I'm pretty sure that is what I used for this blanket. I made it over a year ago, so I'm sorry for not remembering completely. I'm 90% sure that is the yarn I used, though.

• Ectria said:

Hey Joanna, you are such a lovely patient lady to keep answering all the questions! You're a star!!!

Will be giving this a go myself, it looks so cute as a baby blanket!

• Joanna @ Southern Daisy said:

Haha, thanks! Come back and tell me how it turns out!

• Shana said:

Hey Joanna,

TThis has probably been asked but I didn't see it anywhere. Row 1 when you finish and repeat from the beginning do you skip 3 chains and do 2 double cro. Or do you just double cro. With out skipping chains? I'm probably confusing you.

• Joanna @ Southern Daisy said:

Hi Shana. Are you talking about when you turn and start row 2? You'll chain two and then start your first stitch in the first dc. So yes, essentially you are skipping those 2 chains you just made. Does that answer your question?

• Shayna said:

LOVE this pattern! makes such a beautiful blanket! I started making this for a friend who just found out she is pregnant. I am doing 4 rows alternating white, grey, white, turquoise, white, grey white, turquoise etc. Such a great pattern! I got confused adding extra chains to make the blanket longer. I thought I had to add 16 chain sets to make it larger (cause it said 14+2 so I assumed that I had to do 16 for every set of chains I added!) so I added 3 extra sets of 16 chains to make the blanket longer. Ended up re-doing the blanket 4 times before I realized that you only have to add 14 chain sets till the blanket is as long as you wish, THEN add the extra two chains! now the blanket is working out perfectly and all my rows are lining up :) thank you for sharing you pattern!

• Joanna @ Southern Daisy said:

Oh no! Glad you finally figured it out. I know how frustrating it can be to have to start a project over multiple times. Love the color combo you're doing!

• Kiara said:

Thanks for this pattern I'm going to make a blanket for my 9 year old daughter :) I need to make it fit a sinhle bed and so I'm trying to figure out how much longer it needs to be. Was there a big difference between the length of your starting chain and the width of your blanket? I know chevron shrinks that a bit but I've never made one before.

• Joanna @ Southern Daisy said:

I honestly didn't measure it when I just had the chains. It will shrink some with the peaks and valleys, but this isn't too deep of a chevron, so it probably won't shrink too much. I would definitely give yourself some extra length when you're doing the chains just in case.

• Thanks for sharing the baby blanket pattern
    It is very very beautiful
    I will be trying it out very soon for my Grand son

• katie said:

I'm new to ccrochet. I was wondering do I tie off each color before beginning the next row of a new color? Thanks! This blanket is beautiful!

• Joanna @ Southern Daisy said:

Hi Katie, you can tie off and weave in each color as you go or wait until the end (but before you do the white boarder around the outside). You'll obviously need to clip the yarn when switching colors. Look up a YouTube video to show you how to change between colors.

• Alison McNeil said:

Thanks for this pattern, I'm half way through it now and it looks stunning! I've done mine in blue denim cotton, 4 different shades and it looks really modern (I'm doing it for a young mum). Thanks again, love it!!(All the way fae Scotland!)

• Lisa said:

I have started over 3 times now. The waves seem to line up great at first. the first and then it somehow ends up off. Once I get to the end of my second row, it's not ending with a 3dc in the turning chain. It usually ends with the first DC3TOG. Then by the end of the next row it's off. Any idea what I'm doing wrong. I chained 196 + 2.

• donna said:

I'm not a newbie but i had to say how amazing southern daisy is. I would have lost my s&)( with all the same questions about this pattern. she can only answer alot of those questions by repeating what is already written in the pattern. try using a book or google like i did YouTube to help clarify a stitch. my head hurts after reading all that.

Haha! I don't mind, but sometimes I forget to respond to some of them. :-/

• Diane said:

Haha. I must admit I thought the same thing. You are a very patient person! I taught myself to crochet using a YouTube video this past winter. I have crocheted quite a few things, including several chevron blankets and I find your pattern easy to understand. It is actually the questions that are confusing me. Beautiful blanket. The next boy blanket I crochet will be this one. Thanks!

• Joanna @ Southern Daisy said:

Haha! I get confused sometimes too. Some questions aren't easily answered if I can't see the actual blanket they're working on.

• Becky said:

Hey! Love the blanket, I have always just stuck with hats so this will be my first blanket, for my baby boy on the way (7 weeks away!)... how many stitches are supposed to be at the end of each row including the chain 2 ....?? I keep screwing it up and then having to start over because I'll get to the end of the rows, and when I'm only supposed to dc 3 in the last stitch... in order to get 140, I end up having like 5 dc in the last stitch...

• Joanna @ Southern Daisy said:

Hi Becky. Congratulations on your baby boy! Have you looked at the diagram? That might answer your question. The blanket I made is in my son's room, and he's sleeping right now, so I can't check.

• Joanna said:

Hi Joanna,
    We have the same name! I don't come across a lot of other people named Joanna. Also, I am from the San Fernando Valley and know exactly where West Valley Christian Academy is.
    I wanted to compliment you on the gorgeous blanket and easy-to-follow pattern. I just made one for a friend, and she is going to love it! I was also wondering if it is ok to use your pattern to make blankets to sell. I couldn't find anywhere saying it wasn't ok, but I wanted to check. I'm planning to open an Etsy shop, so I am checking on patterns I've used before. I of course would give you credit for the design and a link to your blog. Please let me know either way. Thanks!

• Joanna @ Southern Daisy said:

Hi! Small world! I actually only went to West Valley for a year (3rd grade), and went to Faith Baptist Schools in Canoga Park from birth through high school. You are more than welcome to use this pattern to sell blankets. Thank you for asking!

• Amanda said:

Thank you for the free pattern! I was looking for a pattern to make a blanket with three different colors and could not find one that would work with the amounts of yarn i have, but this pattern is perfect! I will be using pink, grey and black but i have more grey and black then pink. I can't wait to get started!

• Jenny said:

How many balls of yarn did you use for this blanket.

• crocetlover123 said:

thanks very pretty .. :)

• Cassandra Anderson said:

Hi, I love this pattern and it came out absolutely beautiful!! I noticed it looked like you did some edging? Is it just double crochets? Would you mind sharing that pattern? Also, did you fill in the top and bottom waves? Just wondering if you had a pattern for that too. Thanks so much! I love this pattern!!

• Joanna @ Southern Daisy said:

Yes, I'm pretty sure I talked about this at the end of the pattern. It's just double crochets in each row along the sides and following the same pattern as the blanket for the top and bottom.

• Dawn said:

Hi Joanna!
    Just wanted to let you know that I have made a couple of these blankets, blogged about it and linked back to your pattern!!
    I simply love this pattern!! Thank you sooooooooo much!! And love your blog as well! :)

• Joanna @ Southern Daisy said:

Aww thanks Dawn! I really appreciate it! I just checked out the link, and I love the blankets you've made with the pattern!

• Carol said:

Thank you for the free pattern. I would like to use it to make a scarf and, believe it or not, I'm having trouble finding a pattern I can understand. How many stitches to start would I use to make a scarf about 8" wide and what would the pattern be? Thank you.

• Joanna @ Southern Daisy said:

Hi Carol, you'd follow the pattern as written, just make your beginning chain as long as you want it to be for the width of your scarf. It should work as long as it's a multiple of 14.

• Béatrice said:

Hi,
    I've made this blanket and it's adorable. Thanks for the pattern. May I translate it into french and put it on a Facebook page for french crocheters? I would mention your name and link you website back. I would appreciate if you allow me to do it.

Thanks

Béatrice

• Joanna @ Southern Daisy said:

Sure! No problem! Thank you for asking!

• Béatrice said:

Thanks !!

• Kim Lockhart said:

So do baby size, you crochet 142 across and 2 stitches for the turn?

• Joanna @ Southern Daisy said:

No it would be 140 chains + 2 (142 total).

• Kim Lockhart said:

Thanks! Actually putting down my tablet and starting to crochet this afghan right now. :-)

• Ann said:

Hello Joanna,
    I just love your blanket and I learned to crochet so I could make this for my
    new grandson! I am almost finished and it is beautiful!! I and would like to know if you have any other boarders you would recommend for this blanket.
    Also, I just love the wall letters you have in adorable Oliver's nursery. Did you make those too? My daughter would love to know how or where you got them.
    Thank you! :))

• Joanna @ Southern Daisy said:

Hi Ann, I'm so glad you were able to use my pattern! I don't have any other border ideas, but I'm sure you could look on Pinterest or YouTube for some ideas. As for the letters, I bought 8x10 blank canvases at Joann's (they have them at Hobby Lobby as well), covered them with fabric using a staple gun, hot glued a ribbon boarder around the edges, painted the letters, and then hot glued them to the canvases. It was super easy!

• Ann said:

Hello Joanna,
        Thank you for responding so quickly!!
        I appreciate you telling me how to make the wall decor. You are amazing!!
        Thank you again for all your inspirations for a darling nursery!

• Ann said:

Hello Joanna,
    I have finished my blanket and I hope you can help me with the starting of the edge boarder.
    Should I just continue where I left off and go around the edge with the row 2 pattern and changing it to dc on the sides, or should I start the edge on its own?
    Thank you so much for your time!:))

• Joanna @ Southern Daisy said:

I'm pretty sure I continued with the row 2 pattern using white, and then when I got to the end of the row I did 2 dcs in the corner and continued with dcs down the side, 2 dcs in the next corner, then the row 2 pattern, and so on. Hope that helps!

• Charlene said:

Hi Joanna

Just lovely. I might have overlooked it ...how many balls of wool did you use what ply and what was the final measurement of the blanket? Im a novice so I will be getting mum to help me.

• Joanna @ Southern Daisy said:

My final measurements were 32"x46". I used just over one skein of yarn for each color, except the white, of which I used a little less.

• Pingback : Free Chevron Afghan Crochet Patterns | How to Arm Knit

• Shayna said:

I just finished this baby blanket for my friend who is due to have her baby in a few weeks. It turned out fantastic!! I am absolutely in love with it! So much so that I decided to make myself a larger version of he one I made her :) Thank you again for such a great pattern!

• Patricia said:

What size skeins did you use for this project? Also, do you remember what yarn brand/type you used? Thanks!

• Susan said:

Thank you so much for the pattern. I do not crochet much, but I found your pattern extremely easy to follow!!

• Joanna @ Southern Daisy said:

So happy to hear (or read) it!

• Crochet Garden said:

A long and over due, note of appreciation.
    Thank you for posting your pattern, it has been such an awesome adventure creating many afghans for my family. The best presents ever! Your pattern was easy to read and follow. I was so silly about mentioning myself from California, well never mind my silliness, Hello and Thank you from California. Big Hugs! Sandy

• Joanna @ Southern Daisy said:

You made my day, Sandy! Hello from another California native. ;-)

• Martha Hickman said:

I am sending a private message (I hope). Trying to surprise our daughter. She knows all ways in using the computer, so I hope she does not see this. I am asking if you do these awesome chevron baby blankets for other people, like myself, that does not crochet? Our daughter is having a baby girl in late December or early January. She is using the baby elephant theme. I was searching and saw your website. I just adore your son's blanket and his wall name above his bed. She is using in the nursery pale baby pink, pale gray and white as her color theme. I will be most appreciative if you would consider this personal request. The chevron pattern is what is she wanting and a very very soft-feeling baby blanket. I am at a loss. How is his wall name done? I will be more than happy to send you a check if you decide to do this task. If not, I understand and could you provide me with some guidance. Thank you for taking the time in reading this. I am grateful!

Hi Martha,

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I do not sell baby blankets, as I do not have the time since I have two little ones of my own. However, if you really would like to have one made for her, I do have a friend that has made a couple blankets using this pattern, and she might be willing to make it for you. I can pass along your email address to her, if you wish. As for the name, I purchased 8x10 blank canvases at Joann Fabrics (can also be found at Michael's or Hobby Lobby) and covered them with fabric using a staple gun. I then hot glued ribbon around the edges, painted the wooden letters (also can be found at any craft store), and hot glued the letters onto the fabric. Hope that helps! Let me know if you want me to pass on your information to my friend.

• lora said:

Thank you so much for this pattern. It is ready to work. Making it for a friend's baby shower. Excited for the finished product!

• Beth said:

I actually saw this question asked already, but I did not see an answer. For some reason after my second row I always end up with 139. Any ideas what I am doing wrong? I love the pattern! I am just getting so frustrated not being able to figure out what I am doing wrong.

• Elizabeth said:

Can u make a larger blanket for adult ..if can how many chains to begin with. .

• Joanna @ Southern Daisy said:

Yes, you'll do it the same way. Just make sure your beginning chain row is in multiples of 14. As long as it's a multiple of 14, you can make it as big or small as you want. Once you have it the width you want, add 2 chains and you'll be good to go!

• Carlie said:

Loved this pattern!!! It was an easy pattern that grew quickly with the chunky yarn I had picked. Strangely I used almost the exact same colors but added a coral color for the edge. Wish I could post the picture of the lovely blanket to share with you.

Awesome!

• Karen said:

Gorgeous pattern and gorgeous son! Thank you so much for sharing! I plan to make one using pinks for a sweet couple expecting a girl in January. They're going to LOVE it! Thanks again!

• Susan H. said:

Love this pattern! I made it in purple, grey & white for my granddaughter that is due in March.

• Pingback : Chevron Quilt {Free Pattern}

• Cathrine said:

Oh my goodness! I just made this same blanket with the exact same colors but by altering another pattern! I wish I had seen this first! I made mine for my first grandchild to go with the current Snoopy Bedding pattern. I love this!

• Becky said:

I just wanted to say how much I LOVE this pattern!! I found it on pinterest when looking for a crochet project I wanted to do for my baby due in June! The directions were easy to follow and the picture helped so much!! Thank you so much for posting it!!

• Joanna @ Southern Daisy said:

Aww that makes me so happy! Congratulations on your pregnancy!

• Jennissa said:

I love this pattern, I had a little trouble at first but I am so happy you added a photo of how the stitches are suppose to line up! I am making my second baby on the way a blanket and this is just perfect! Funny thing is his name is going to be Oliver too! Haha, I am using Vannas Choice yarn which is working pretty well for this pattern.

• Joanna @ Southern Daisy said:

I'm so glad! Congratulations!!

• Carolyn said:

I made a blanket using your pattern and it came out perfectly. Love it! Thank you. Made it for a coworker friend expecting a baby boy in March.

That's awesome, Carolyn!

• Linda said:

I'm working this pattern now and my peaks and valleys are puckering its not laying flat is there something that I may be doing wrong? My tension is not overly tight. I've never done a ripple pattern before so this is a learning process. Thanks for any tips.

• Joanna @ Southern Daisy said:

Are you doing the dc3tog correctly? And doing it twice?

• Judie said:

I too, am having the same problems as Linda. This is my first chevron pattern that I've tried. Yes, I've looked at the picture, and yes I've watched two different youtube videos. What is my count supposed to be once I've finished the first row on the foundation chain? And the other question I have is that the second row seems to be turned around. I followed it exactly, checked it three times, and it seems the exact opposite of what it should be. The valleys are on the peaks and the peaks are on the valleys. I turned it around on the pattern for myself, but did I miss something?? Thanks.

• Joanna @ Southern Daisy said:

The only thing I can think of is that you're not ending the row correctly. Instead of doing the last peak the way it is written {(3 dcs in next st) 2 times}, at the end of the row, you should only be doing 3 double crochets in the last chain one time. So basically you're ending the row at the top of a peak, instead of completing a full peak. I hope that makes sense and fixes your problem.

• Denise said:

Love this blanket the colors are beautiful together

• Janine said:

This pattern is actually very easy once you realize you are crocheting 3 double crochets together and not just three stitches together. The way it is written and the way to comes across to me is double crochet 3 stitches together. That is why people are ending up with less stitches and things aren't lining up. Without the chart and the video, I never would have understood what you meant. Everyone writes their patterns differently which doesn't help matters. In any case, thanks for the pattern!

• Kam said:

Hi Joanna. Thanks for the beautiful pattern and chart. I was having problems trying to find the stitch the last 3 dc go at the end of each row but the chart was the key.
    Do I put the last 3 dc directly into the second chain of the turning chain or between the last two turning chains?
    I made my chains a little bigger than the hook but my bottom row is puckered. Will it straighten out when I add the bottom border?
    Do you make your chains larger in all your projects?
    I am using Caron simply soft worsted and the yarn is so soft that the yarn pulls out from the slip stitch. Should I double knot this? How would you deal with this?
    Thanks for your help.

• Joanna @ Southern Daisy said:

Yes, you would put the last 3 dcs in the turning chain. I do typically have the bottom edge curl up on me slightly when I'm crocheting any project, but usually after the border is added it lays flat. However if it's extremely puckered, then something went wrong. As far as the yarn, you could definitely double knot it if that makes you feel more confident that it won't come undone.

• Linda said:

Hi Joanna, I just noticed your reply to my post. I am doing the 3doctg twice, and I'm doing it in the same way you would do 2together, I didnt look at a YouTube tutorial though. Is that the correct way? Thanks.

• Kat said:

Hi there. I made this blanket last year and that turned out great. I am making it again now. I have followed the pattern exactly. Is it normal for your first several rows to be rippley? That's what is happening to me now. I'm doing it the same way you did it with your color changes, 3 rows of one color, then 1 white, then 3 of another color, then 1 white, and so on. I've done my first 3 rows and half of my first white row. At what point should it lay down flat? Like I said I made this last year, but I just can't remember how that one was. I got to this point and thought I'd made a mistake, then re-crocheted the entire thing and it's happening again. If you can just tell me if I'm doing this right, I would appreciate it! Thank you!

• Joanna @ Southern Daisy said:

I honestly don't know why all of a sudden a couple people are saying that it's not laying flat. I haven't changed any of the directions. The only thing I can suggest is to look at the diagram and make sure you're following it exactly.

• Kat said:

I figured out what I was doing wrong and I feel SO stupid! Rookie mistake. I was dc3tog all in the same stitch instead of connecting 3 separate stitches together to do the decrease. I can't believe It took me 3 days to figure it out. Lol

• Alyssa Spatz said:

Thank you so much for this. I self taught myself and I've always wanted to make a chevron blanket. I'm really excited. I'm going to start it in the morning.

• Sarah said:

Thank you for this beautiful pattern! My friend just found out she's having boy/girl twins and I am making them each a blanket. :) just a quick question, once you've done the border all the way around, how do you attach the last stich to the very first stich? Thank you!!

• Joanna @ Southern Daisy said:

Hi there! You would attach it with a slip stitch, and then tie it off. :-)

• Thank you so much for this simple chevron design. For some reason I've always struggled with chevrons, but your pattern was easy to follow and turned out great in pink & white!

• Shelly Graham said:

Turned out great! Will be doing this again in Alabama colors- Roll Tide!

• Mariah said:

Hi! Sorry if this has been asked already, but how long did you make your blanket?

• Joanna @ Southern Daisy said:

I made mine about 34"x45".

• Ada said:

Thank you so much for this pattern and for responding to all the question, I have used it 3 times...made a dress for my daughter and now am making a blanket exactly like yours and it's so pretty.... I'll like to ask how many blue rolls and how many grey rolls did you make???... Thanks once again, is there a way I can show you pictures when am done?

• Joanna @ Southern Daisy said:

Hi Ada, I think I already answered this, but I used a little over one skein of yarn for both the blue and the gray, and one skein for the white.

• Kelly said:

How many yards are your skeins? Thx

• Jessica said:

Thank you for this wonderful pattern! I just completed it as a gift and now I might make one for my own newborn! I had no trouble at all, especially with your diagram.

I used the cut & tie method when changing colors (vs carrying) and I had a ton of knots to bury, but I think it worked out ok.

Thanks again!

• Kelly Nace said:

Hello, I understand you can make this any size, but could you give me an idea of how much yarn I might be needing? What are the measurements of yours? And how much yarn of each color did you need? Thanks!

• Pingback : House Tour

• Kathy said:

Hello! I am going to make this beautiful blanket. Thank you for the free pattern. It is very kind of you. I am confused at getting started. How would I do the dc3tog on a chain row? There are no double crochets, right? Do I do a row of double crochet after the foundation chain? As you can tell, I am a beginner, so I sure appreciate your help.

• Joanna @ Southern Daisy said:

Hi Kathy! You would just double crochet 3 of the chains together. Do you know how to do this? If not, there are several YouTube tutorials you can watch. If the videos show them doing the dc3tog on top of other dcs or scs, just know that you would do the same thing on a chain. Just act like it's a regular stitch. I hope that makes sense.

• Kathy said:

Thank you. I didn't know that decrease could be done on top of the chain. It's fun to learn new things. Thank you. I am swatching so I can learn the motor pattern for the stitches. Thanks again!

• Mariska said:

Hello,
    I want to make this blanket., it looks stunning. I have 1 question. What type of yarn did you use? Cotton, acrylic or something else?
    Thanks,
    Mariska

• Joanna @ Southern Daisy said:

Hi Mariska! I'm pretty sure it was acrylic yarn. But it's been almost 2.5 years since I made it, so I'm not 100% positive.

• Mariska said:

Thans a lot! Yes it was quite some time ago, but was hoping you still might know. I'll go for the acrylic yarn.

• wendy said:

What size skeins did you use and how many.

• Joanna @ Southern Daisy said:

I've answered this question a few times. I'm sure if you look through the comments, you'll find the answer. :-)

• Graciela Z de Parrot said:

Hermosa !!!! Gracias por compartir.
    La mas linda que encontré.
    La he comenzado a tejer.

• Michelle said:

My daughter spotted this pattern and I just started a blanket for my grandson that was just born and when I first looked at the pattern I was like "huh?", but the diagram that you put was so very helpful. Using turquoise, Gray, and white. It is coming along fast. Started it last night and am half way done. Thanks for making the pattern so easy.

• Joanna @ Southern Daisy said:

Thanks Michelle! And congratulations on your new grandson!

• Nicole said:

Hi Joanna!
    Thanks for the pattern. I understand all the directions except for the "(3 dcs in next st) 2 times" part. I'm not sure what the "2 times" means. I understand that it's 3 individual double crochets in the next stitch, but does the two times mean another 3dcs in the following stitch?

• Joanna @ Southern Daisy said:

Hi Nicole! Yes, it means to do 3 dcs in the next two stitches. (not 6 dcs in one stitch) Hope that helps! :-)

• Judy said:

Just wondering how many balls of yarn for each colour? I'm doing the same style grey white and turquoise
    Don't want to buy to many balls!
    Thanks!

• Judy said:

Found answer in comments!
      Beautiful blanket

• Marty said:

Thank you for the diagram helps explain it better. Thank you for adding it.

• Gina said:

Hello! Thank you for the chevron pattern.

At the end of the first row I continue to end up with dc3tog 2 times, followed by two chains. I double checked that I chained 142 originally and followed the pattern. I chained 142, and assume I do not add 2 chains to 142? I started with 2 dcs in 3rd ch from hook and followed the pattern. I have checked how I followed the pattern twice. What might be the problem?

I request a drawing of what the end of the first row including part of the pattern, and the start of the second row looks like. NO problem if that is too much to ask!

Thank you!

Hi Gina,

The very end of the row is different than the rest of the row. Did you see the bolded text where it says **NOTE: At the end of each row you will dc 3 times in the turning chain (last chain on the first row) instead of doing the 3 dcs twice.**

There's also a diagram to show you what it should look like.

• clare said:

Hi I'm working this pattern with turquoise, gray and white. It's beautiful, but it looks a little wide. Can I get your measurements on the baby blanket before I go any further. Thank you for the directions. It's such a fun pattern to work on.

Hi Clare,

My blanket measures about 34"x45" including the white border.

• Shannon said:

Love this pattern but im having some problems.
    I have chained 142. Im confident that im following the pattern correctly as im getting nice peaks etc but when i get to the end I end up finishing with 2×3dctog then the 3dc in last chain instead of 3dc in next 3 stiches then the 3dc in last chain
    Any ideas what I might be doing wrong
    My chain is definitely 142 and I am going through both loops of the chain

Hi Shannon,

I truly don't know where you could be going wrong. Have you referenced the diagram?

• Lynn Dickerson said:

When u say 3dctog 2 times is that in the same st or 2 stitches? Thanks and beautiful blanket

Hi Lynn,

It would make 2 stitches. Otherwise I'd have said 6dctog. ;-)

• Barb Carney said:

I love this blanket. I like the pattern and the texture. I want to make sure I get the same look and texture. What Brand yarn did you use?

• Clare said:

Hi, I'm new to crochet and pattern reading. I wonder if someone could tell me if the parts of the pattern in parentheses are meant to be followed each time like the rest /why they are in parentheses? E.g. "dc in each of the next 3 stitches, (3 dcs in next st) 2 times*".
    Sorry if I'm not making much sense! Thankyou for the pattern

Hi Clare,

The part in the parenthesis will always have an amount after it. So in your example, it says "2 times" after the parenthesis. Meaning, you only do the part in the parenthesis twice. So if it was written without the parenthesis, it would read as "dc in each of the next 3 stitches, 3 dcs in the next st, 3 dcs in the next st. Hope that makes sense!

• Clare said:

Thankyou!! Sorry that seems so obvious now!

• Hi Joanna

Thanks so much for this fabulous free pattern. I just finished one for my friend's adopted baby, and it was super quick to make up with really clear instructions. She loved it! I've posted a blog about my project, and have given you full credit for the pattern and will add a link to your site in case anyone else wants to see it.

Kind regards, Susan

• Ilona said:

Hi Joanna,

I am not familiar with the with the your yarns and need to adapt the pattern, how many stitches and rows to 10cm

Regards
    Ilona

• Shelby said:

I love the pattern and I am doing my own right now but it looks like I have bubbles in the whole design. Im not sure if that's happened to anyone else or not or what I'm doing wrong.

• Wendy said:

I love this pattern! Thanks so much for sharing! How can I share a picture of my finished product when I am done?

• Nichole said:

Hi! I'm almost done but having an issue with the border around the edge.. I can't get the border on the edge where the first row is to match the rest of the blanket. I wish I had started with a row of white - besides that I love the pattern!

• Mandie Gallop said:

This is my go to baby blanket!!! I LOVE it!!!! It is easy to read and so customizable thank you so very much for sharing this with everyone.

• Jo said:

Thank you so much for your kind words, Mandie!

• Linda said:

Love the pattern, making it fornthe second time. How many sections of your starting color did you do? Seems this one is wider than the first and i did 142 chains and used H hook both times, odd.

• Maria said:

Just found your website and Chevron Baby Blanket Pattern, Joanna. Thank you for sharing it!
    I've begun crocheting one to donate to Project Linus. Hope to make several.

Your instructions are excellent and I appreciate the addition of the graph very much.
    Great pattern and it works up quickly, too!

Appreciate it!